Prospective AmeriCorps Member FAQ’s
Why join the AmeriCorps program?
AmeriCorps members have the opportunity to serve for a year while making America stronger, healthier, and safer. When you join AmeriCorps, you use your energy, ideals, and talents to help others. Plus, you’ll earn money for your education, learn to be a leader, and gain real job skills.
What are the benefits of becoming an AmeriCorps member?
Members in the Utah Campus Compact AmeriCorps program will earn an Education Award ranging from $1,230-$2,215 after successfully completing their term. Members will also: increase personal growth in a professional setting, receive a Certificate of National Service, and build up their resumes.
Am I eligible to enroll in the AmeriCorps Program?
You must be affiliated with a Utah Campus Compact institution in order to enroll in the program. View this list of institutions and contact the assigned campus coordinator to see if there is a Utah Campus Compact AmeriCorps Program at your institution.
Additionally, the following Member Requirements must be met:
- Members must enroll in an intensive term of service, anywhere from 300 hours to 1700 hours in a year.
- Members have 12 months to complete their term of service.
- Members must be at least 17 years of age to serve (no upper age limit).
- Members must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- Members must have a high school diploma, GED, or complete one before using the Education Award.
- Members must have adequate skills and knowledge to serve their client base. Ensure you are attending your classes and specific training’s related to your service.
- Members must complete the Prospective AmeriCorps Orientation and verify they have done so by taking the quiz at the end.
- Members must complete all enrollment paperwork.
- Members cannot have been convicted of an offense that lists them on the National Sex Offender Registry or have been convicted of murder.
- Members must pass a background check (paid for by Utah Campus Compact).
How do I get started?
Contact the person on your campus who coordinates the AmeriCorps Program and find out if there is a slot available for you to participate! Click this link to find out who your campus coordinator is.
Will I get any training before I start?
Yes! All prospective members must complete an orientation prior to beginning their term of service. Click on this link to locate online orientations. Ensure you have contacted your campus coordinator prior to signing up for an orientation.